Kaduna Attack: Catechist, Pregnant Wife Kidnapped
Bandit Attack Forces Mass Exodus in Kagarko LGA
Midnight Raid Shatters Rural Communities
A Kaduna bandit attack has thrown Kutaho and Kugir communities in Kagarko Local Government Area into fear after armed men abducted a Catholic catechist, his pregnant wife, and at least 32 other residents during a midnight raid.
The parish priest of St. Joseph Catholic Church confirmed the incident during an interview with Arise Television. The attack reportedly occurred around 2 a.m.
Residents Flee in Fear
Speaking during the interview, Father Linus Matthew Bobai said fear has overtaken the communities.
“Bandits abducted our catechist, his pregnant wife, and 32 others,” he said, noting that over 98 percent of the people have fled to nearby villages.
He explained that panic continues to spread as residents fear a repeat attack.
Priest Says Community Is Helpless
According to the priest, more than 98 percent of residents have fled to nearby villages.
“The community is under serious tension,” he said. “Only a few people remained overnight.”
He added that those still in the area lack adequate protection and live in constant fear of another attack.
Bandits Ignored Earlier Warnings
The attackers had earlier issued threats and ransom demands to the communities. Despite warnings to remain alert, the bandits returned as promised.
Father Bobai was reportedly in Kaduna city at the time, purchasing textbooks for St. Joseph School, when the assailants struck.

Calls Grow for Stronger Security
Across parts of Kaduna State, residents continue to demand sustained security presence and proactive patrols to prevent further attacks and abductions.
Rights Group Raises Alarm
On January 20, Christian Solidarity Worldwide called on Nigerian authorities to secure the release of 167 worshippers abducted during coordinated attacks on three churches in Kurmin Wali community, Kajuru LGA.
The group warned that the Adara people have faced persistent attacks since the abduction and killing of their traditional ruler, Agom Adara III, Dr. Maiwada Raphael Galadima, in 2018.
Ransom Payments Deepen Poverty
CSW also revealed that more than 20 abductees were freed on January 11 after families paid about ₦7 million in ransom. Earlier, on January 2, attackers abducted Rev. Philip Adamu and three others from Ungwan Danladi village.
The organization described the repeated attacks as a failure of government responsibility. It warned that ransom payments and forced displacement are pushing rural communities deeper into poverty.
International Attention on Nigeria
Persistent attacks on Christian and farming communities have drawn global concern. Former U.S. President Donald Trump previously designated Nigeria as a country of particular concern due to religious violence.